A constructive raise is a single raise which shows about 8-10 points and an 8-card fit. It is an attempt to narrow the normal range of a single raise (5-10 points). If Bergen raises are on, it shows an exactly 8-card fit.
Rebids after a constructive raise Edit
- With 12-14 points, opener should pass
- With 15-17 points in a major suit, opener should invite game
- Raising to the three level is a natural invite
- A new suit shows a long suit and is a game try
- With 18 or more points, opener should bid game in a major or invite in a minor
- With 15 or more points and all side suit stopped when a minor is agreed, opener should bid 2NT to invite game.
Raising with a weak hand Edit
Single raise - Jump raise